I hope you find something interesting to read. Feel free to reach out if you need a copy.
Peer-reviewed publications, In press, Accepted
- Cvetanovska E., Castañeda R.A., Hendry A.P., Conn D.B., Ricciardi A. Cold tolerance varies among invasive populations of the Asian clam Corbicula fluminea. (In press).
- Castañeda R.A., + 22 co-authors, D.A.R. Drake. Approaches and research needs for advancing the protection and recovery of imperilled freshwater fishes and mussels in Canada. (Accepted: cjfas-2020-0374).
- Montgomery F.E.*, Stratton N.*, Bzonek P.A., Campbell S.E., Castañeda R.A., Chenery E.S., Gallage K., Heer T., Kindree M.M., Mandrak N.E. The role of science advice in freshwater fish listing decisions under the Canadian Species at Risk Act. (Accepted: facets-2020-0091).
- Castañeda, R.A., C.M.M. Burliuk, J.M. Casselman, S.J. Cooke, K.M. Dunmall, L.S. Forbes, C.T. Hasler, K.L. Howland, J.A. Hutchings, G.M. Klein, V.M. Nguyen, M.H.H. Price, A.J. Reid, J.D. Reist, J.D. Reynolds, A. Van Nynatten, N.E. Mandrak. 2020. A brief history of fisheries in Canada. Fisheries. 45: 303-318
- Castañeda, R.A., N.E. Mandrak, S. Barrow, O.L.F. Weyl. 2020. Occupancy dynamics of rare cyprinids after invasive fish eradication. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems. 7: 1224-1436
- Crookes, S., T. Heer, R.A. Castañeda, N.E. Mandrak, D.D. Heath, O.L.F Weyl, H. MacIsaac, L.C. Foxcroft. 2020. Monitoring the silver carp invasion in Africa: a case study using environmental DNA (eDNA) in dangerous watersheds. Neobiota. 56: 31-47.
- Vargas Soto, J., R.A. Castañeda, N.E. Mandrak, P. K. Molnár. 2020. Estimating animal density in three dimensions using capture-frequency data from remote detectors. Remote Sensing in Ecology and Conservation. 7: 36-49.
- Castañeda, R.A., A. Van Nynatten, S. Crookes, B. Ellender, D. Heath, H. MacIsaac, N.E. Mandrak, O.L.F. Weyl. 2020. Detecting native freshwater fishes using novel non-invasive methods. Frontiers in Environmental Sciences, Freshwater Sciences. 8: 1-16.
- Castañeda, R.A., O.L.F. Weyl, N.E. Mandrak. 2020. Using occupancy models to assess the effectiveness of underwater cameras to detect rare stream fishes. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems. 30: 565-576.
- Castañeda, R.A., E. Cvetanovska, K.M. Hamelin, M.A. Simard, A. Ricciardi. 2018. Distribution, abundance and condition of an invasive bivalve (Corbicula fluminea) along an artificial thermal gradient in the St. Lawrence River. Aquatic Invasions. 13:379-392
- Hamelin, K.M., R.A. Castañeda, A. Ricciardi, A. 2016. Cryptic invaders: nonindigenous and cryptogenic freshwater Bryozoa and Entoprocta in the St. Lawrence River. Biological Invasions.18:1737–1744.
- Castañeda, R.A., S. Avlijas, M.A. Simard, A. Ricciardi. 2014. Microplastic pollution in St. Lawrence River sediments. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences.71:1767-1771. (Most read paper of the journal in 2014)
In review, Submitted, In prep
- Crookes S*, Castañeda RA*, Avlijas S, Heath DD, Mandrak NE, Weyl OLF, MacIsaac HJ. Relative success of novel and conventional surveying methods for fish detection. (In prep)
- Castañeda RA, Vargas Soto JS, Weyl OLF, Molnár PK, Mandrak NE. One fish, two fish: Estimating fish densities using underwater cameras. (In prep)
- Castañeda RA. Redside Dace (Clinostomus elongatus). The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. (In prep)
Bits of writing
Stopping the invasion. July 8, 2015. Ontario Nature Blog. Co-written with Sara Campbell, Andrew Drake, and Nicholas Mandrak
January 2022: I am officially a member of the freshwater fishes species specialist subcommittee at COSEWIC.
September 2021: I started my maternity leave and will be returning to work and emails September 2022
May 2021: I started as the SARA-Science Coordinator for Pacific Region of Fisheries and Oceans Canada.
December 2020: I am officially the communications officer of the Canadian Aquatic Resources Section (CARS) of AFS
September 2020: For the American Fisheries Society (AFS) Virtual Meeting, I was a panelist on careers for Student Day and I was a Keynote speaker for Canada Theme Day
February 2020: I am officially an Associate Editor for Biological Invasions
January 2020: I started a post-doc at Fisheries and Oceans Canada
September 2019: I successfully defended my PhD thesis!
April 2019: I was awarded the Harold Harvey Prize for sustained contribution to intellectual life in the EEB Department at UofT
January 2019 – April 2019: I received the Mitacs Globalink Research Award that facilitated my semester at the South African Institute for Aquatic Biodiversity
December 2018: I was awarded the Canadian Aquatic Resources Section of AFS: Peter Larkin Award for Excellence in Fisheries