I hope you find something interesting to read. Feel free to reach out if you need a copy.
Peer-reviewed publications, In press, Accepted
9. Castañeda, R.A., C.M.M. Burliuk, J.M. Casselman, S.J. Cooke, K.M. Dunmall, L.S. Forbes, C.T. Hasler, K.L. Howland, J.A. Hutchings, G.M. Klein, V.M. Nguyen, M.H.H. Price, A.J. Reid, J.D. Reist, J.D. Reynolds, A. Van Nynatten, N.E. Mandrak. 2020. A brief history of fisheries in Canada. Fisheries. In press.
8. Castañeda, R.A., N.E. Mandrak, S. Barrow, O.L.F. Weyl. 2020. Occupancy dynamics of rare cyprinids after invasive fish eradication. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems. In press.
7. Crookes, S., T. Heer, R.A. Castañeda, N.E. Mandrak, D.D. Heath, O.L.F Weyl, H. MacIsaac, L.C. Foxcroft. 2020. Monitoring the silver carp invasion in Africa: a case study using environmental DNA (eDNA) in dangerous watersheds. Neobiota. 56: 31-47.
6. Vargas Soto, J., R.A. Castañeda, N.E. Mandrak, P. K. Molnár. 2020. Estimating animal density in three dimensions using capture-frequency data from remote detectors. Remote Sensing in Ecology and Conservation. Early view.
5. Castañeda, R.A., A. Van Nynatten, S. Crookes, B. Ellender, D. Heath, H. MacIsaac, N.E. Mandrak, O.L.F. Weyl. 2020. Detecting native freshwater fishes using novel non-invasive methods. Frontiers in Environmental Sciences, Freshwater Sciences. 8: 1-16.
4. Castañeda, R.A., O.L.F. Weyl, N.E. Mandrak. 2020. Using occupancy models to assess the effectiveness of underwater cameras to detect rare stream fishes. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems. 30: 565-576.
3. Castañeda, R.A., E. Cvetanovska, K.M. Hamelin, M.A. Simard, A. Ricciardi. 2018. Distribution, abundance and condition of an invasive bivalve (Corbicula fluminea) along an artificial thermal gradient in the St. Lawrence River. Aquatic Invasions. 13:379-392
2. Hamelin, K.M., R.A. Castañeda, A. Ricciardi, A. 2016. Cryptic invaders: nonindigenous and cryptogenic freshwater Bryozoa and Entoprocta in the St. Lawrence River. Biological Invasions.18:1737–1744.
1. Castañeda, R.A., S. Avlijas, M.A. Simard, A. Ricciardi. 2014. Microplastic pollution in St. Lawrence River sediments. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences.71:1767-1771. (Most read paper of the journal in 2014)
In review, Submitted, In prep
Castañeda, R.A., Vargas Soto, J., P.K. Molnár, N.E. Mandrak. One fish, two fish: Estimating fish densities using underwater cameras. In prep.
Crookes, S.*, R.A. Castañeda*, S. Avlijas, D.D. Heath, N.E. Mandrak, O.L.F. Weyl, H. MacIsaac. Relative success of novel and conventional surveying methods for fish detection. In prep. *equal contributors
Cvetanovska, E., R.A. Castañeda, A. Hendry, D.B. Conn, A. Ricciardi. Variation in cold tolerance among invasive populations of the Asian Clam Corbicula fluminea. In prep.
Bits of writing
Stopping the invasion. July 8, 2015. Ontario Nature Blog. Co-written with Sara Campbell, Andrew Drake, and Nicholas Mandrak
February 2020: I am officially an Associate Editor for Biological Invasions
September 2019: I successfully defended my PhD thesis!
April 2019: I was awarded the Harold Harvey Prize for sustained contribution to intellectual life in the EEB Department at UofT
January 2019 – April 2019: I received the Mitacs Globalink Research Award that facilitated my semester at the South African Institute for Aquatic Biodiversity
December 2018: I was awarded the Canadian Aquatic Resources Section of AFS: Peter Larkin Award for Excellence in Fisheries